Given a plant, i.e., a system to be controlled, a controller structure,
and control specifications,
- are the specifications achievable by a suitable choice of a control strategy?
- what performance can be achieved and what cannot?
- how should the controller structure be altered to meet requirements?
- what sort of mathematical and computational tools are to be developed
in order to effectively answer those questions?
Motivation and Importance
Due to the ever-growing demand on the accuracy and efficiency of engineering products,
the importance of control systems is becoming greater and greater.
In the analysis and design of control systems,
various branches of mathematics are effectively employed,
and developments in the computer science have been supporting
the use of mathematical advances in the computation on digital computers.
In order to fulfil severer requirements,
new theoretical developments are anticipated
and also further advances of computational tools are needed.
This session aims at presenting and discussing
- recent problems arising from practical engineering problems,
- new mathematical/computational tools for the solution of various control problems, and
- issues to be resolved in order to achieve higher targets.